Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sweet Potato Chicken Salad with Paleo Mayo

I found this recipe on 3, 2, 1 Paleo (http://321paleo.blogspot.com/2012/04/sweet-potato-chicken-salad.html) and changed a couple things. I made the Paleo Mayo (look at me go), and got a little weirded out because of the whole raw-egg-thing. But I ate it anyway, and it was totally worth it.

• 1.5lb Chicken
• 1 large Onion, sliced thinly
• Broccoli slaw (small-ish bag?)
• Garlic powder, TJ's 21 Seasoning Salute, other spices if you want them...
• 1-2 Sweet Potatoes
• Coconut Oil
• Good Olive Oil
• Salt + Pepper
• Paleo Mayo (see recipe below)
• Sausages- 4 “breakfast” sized ones (I didn't have these, but I want them next time I make this)
• Mustard

So I started with defrosted chicken breast cutlets and did some oil/21 S.S. and put them in the oven (at 400) for maybe 20 minutes...or until they were cooked. In a separate dish, I diced up sweet potatoes and onions with the same oil/seasonings and put those in the oven too. In a skillet, I did some coconut oil and garlic, then threw in my broccoli slaw with 1/3 cup of chicken broth and let that soften for a while.

While all that was happening, I made Paleo Mayo (scroll down) in the food processor, then put that in the fridge.

Once everything finished cooking, I let it all cool for a while. Then started dicing/shredding the chicken and put that in a bowl, tossed in the potatoes/onions and the broccoli slaw. And because I was impatient and hungry, I put the bowl of stuff in the freezer to cool faster. When I decided it was cool enough (like 2 minutes later), I put maybe 1/3 of that mixture in a bowl with 1/4 cup mayo (more or less depending on your taste) and some garlic powder. Et voila.

Update: chop up some bell peppers and throw them in there raw. Just do it.



I had already eaten most of it by the time I thought about taking a picture.

Paleo Mayo
2 eggs (I've heard that these should be at room temp or it doesn't work right)
1.5 cups olive oil (I did 1 cup olive, then ran out, so I used grapeseed for the rest)

2 T apple cider vinegar
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp crushed garlic

Put the eggs, apple cider vinegar and mustard into a blender and blend until smooth. Next, add in your olive oil VERY slowly with the blade still running. Don’t get impatient and just dump it all in! Let it thicken up and add it in a very slow drizzle. After the olive oil is all added, toss in the chili powder and salt and blend a couple more seconds. Lastly, add the crushed garlic and blend by hand or in the blender – up to you! This keeps about a week in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment