Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fish Tacos with Coconut Flour Tortillas

Yes, I do love labor-intensive meals. How did you know? This one took me a while since I made the tortillas, and had to cut up a giant frozen block of mahi-mahi...but it was a free giant frozen block of mahi-mahi, so no complaints here.




Fish tacos:
1 lb mahi mahi
Coconut oil
Minced garlic
Lime/Lemon juice
Avocado
Tomatos
Garlic powder, chili powder
Paleo Tortillas (recipe below)

Start with the tortillas since you have to let the batter sit for a while before cooking. While those are doing their thing, cook the fish in a large skillet. I had a pound of mahi-mahi that I cut into chunks (2 inches? I don't know, I didn't have a ruler) Then, a spoonful of coconut oil in a hot pan, and some garlic perhaps, then toss the fish in, and let the chunks cook for a while. I didn't time it, and I fear uncooked fish, so I made sure they were done by cutting some of the bigger pieces with a knife to check the middle. Once all the middles were cooked (white + flakey), I put all the fish on a paper towel-covered plate and sprinkled them with some garlic powder, chili powder, and lime juice. Then I went back to my tortillas and cooked a bunch of those in a small skillet (street taco size).

Tortilla, Paleo mayo, shredded cabbage, diced tomato, avocado, fish, fish, fish, lime juice and some more mayo (or salsa). Eat.



Ingredients (makes 8-10)
½ cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon grain-free baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 ½ cup egg whites (16 egg whites)
¾ cup coconut milk

Directions
Mix all of the ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes so the coconut flour can soak up some of the moisture, and then whisk again. The batter should be runnier than that of pancakes, about the same as a crepe batter.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and spray with oil or melt enough butter to coat the bottom and sides of pan. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan, swirling the pan while you pour to ensure the bottom is coated and the tortilla is thin.

Once the bottom looks set (about 1 minute), carefully release the sides of the tortilla with a rubber spatula and turn over. If your first couple break, don’t fret and don’t throw them away. Add a little more coconut flour and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment