Friday, September 14, 2012

Sliders on Paleo Bread

Paleo bread. Red meat. Sweet potato. Oh my.


I had to deconstruct it to eat it...with a fork and knife, like a civilized person.


Start with the bread, since the batter has to sit for a few minutes before you microwave it. And definitely toast it before you build your burger.

Cook your hamburger. I think mine was just ground beef with some seasonings then shaped into a patty. I made a few last weekend and froze them individually for nights like these, but I can't remember exactly what I did to it. Once the burger is done, I let it rest for a while on a paper towel-covered plate.

While my burger was cooking, I did some kale in a big skillet. Coconut oil and garlic in a hot pan, toss in a bunch of kale, add approximately half a cup of liquid (I use chicken/veggie broth) and let it simmer for a while. I don't have a lid yet for my big skillet, but if I did, I would use it here. Add steak seasoning and stir every few minutes until the kale is soft and liquid is gone.

And because I'm me, and I had just run a speed workout, I shredded a sweet potato and cooked that in the same pan my meat was in. I just left the meat grease in there, I don't know if that's gross, but it tasted good, so I went with it. I probably seasoned the potato too, but that's just my preference.

Once the bread is cooked, cut it in half (like a hamburger bun) and toast it.

I didn't build this in a way that made it easy to eat, but this is what ended up on the burger: paleo mayo (on the bun), avocado, shredded sweet potato, meat, bbq sauce. And my kale just ended up piled on the plate. It made for a messy meal, but those are the best anyway, am I right?



Coconut Flour Bread

1  Tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 egg
2 Tablespoons coconut milk
1 tsp olive oil

Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Make a well in the center. Add the egg, coconut milk and oil. Stir well with a fork. Let rest for a couple of minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb the liquid. Spray the inside of a straight sided mug with cooking spray. Spoon half the batter into the mug. Tap it on the counter to remove air bubbles. Cook in the microwave for 65 seconds. If the center is steaming, but firm to the touch,  run a knife around the edge and remove the bread, allowing it to cool on the counter. To make a slider bun, slice the bread in half.

1 comment:

  1. wow! all that between work and a soccer game?

    Interesting bread recipe; was it worth it? I don't really miss bread, but it sounds interesting.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete