Thursday, August 30, 2012

Sweet Potato Patties

The obsession with sweet potatoes continues...I've been trying to cook them in unique ways to avoid getting stuck in a roasted-with-onions-rut. So I shredded a sweet potato last night and added some things and fried them in a bit of coconut oil. My roommate even approved (she isn't Paleo and "hasn't had good experiences with sweet potatoes").

The patties! (with honey mustard chicken in the corner)

I'm working from memory now:

  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and shredded
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup minced red onion (or a whole red onion...either way, throw some onion in there)
  • 1 tbsp (?) coconut flour
  • big plop of minced garlic
  • chopped rosemary (I used dried, but fresh would probably be even better)
  • salt & pepper
Mix all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, add some other veggies if you want (kale would probably be good in here). Heat a spoonful of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. The potatoes will absorb a lot of oil, so be generous here. When the oil is hot, use a large spoon to scoop the potato mixture into the skillet and mush it into a patty-shape. Let it cook for a few minutes (maybe 3-4)  and flip when the first side is nice and brown. Cook a few more minutes on the other side. I found that when the heat was too high, the outside of the patty would get semi-burned but the inside hadn't cooked yet, so watch for that and turn the heat down if necessary.

That's it. I made this up, so I'm sure the recipe could use some tweaking (movie quote, anyone?) so let me know if you have any suggestions. I did some honey mustard chicken in the oven (honey + dijon + oil + apple cider vinegar over chicken in the oven for a while...mmmm) which went well with the potatoes.

If there are any leftover patties, throw a fried egg and sausage on there and call it breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment