Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sweet Potato Kale Chicken Patties with Spaghetti Squash

This dinner was loosely based on a recipe from Multiply Delicious, but I changed some things as I went along. I had ground chicken, leftover sauteed kale, and I wanted sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash..so this is what I ended up with.

 
 
Here is the original recipe:
2 green onion, finely chopped (I used red onion)
1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into tiny little cubes (I shredded it)
2 1/2 cups kale, finely chopped (leaves only) (leftover sauteed leaves and stems, chopped)
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks (I had ground chicken already)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 garlic clove, minced (does anyone actually measure garlic?)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 egg
2 tablespoons coconut flour

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1 teaspoon coconut oil or avocado oil (or bacon grease) add green onions and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Add sweet potatoes and cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, until barely tender.  Add kale and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Set aside.

Add chicken to a food processor and process on pulse until ground.  Transfer meat to a large mixing bowl.  Add salt, garlic, paprika, Dijon mustard, rosemary, egg, coconut flour, and sweet potato mix.  Mix together with hands until well combined.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or even better overnight.

Divide your chicken mixture into 6 to 7 even patties.

Coat a large non-stick pan with coconut oil or even better bacon grease to just coat the bottom (not a lot).  Add patties and cook until golden crust forms, about 5 to 6 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook until golden and cooked through.

I cooked my sweet potatoes and onions for a few minutes then mixed in my leftover cooked kale (maybe a cup...maybe more..) and put that aside to cool. Then I threw my ground chicken in a bowl with a big plop of minced garlic, some paprika, mustard, salt, pepper, rosemary, 1 egg, and a couple teaspoons of coconut flour. Then I mixed in my potatoes and kale and scooped big spoonfuls into a skillet (with coconut oil) and formed them into patties with the spoon. They took a few minutes to cook on each side.

Doesn't that look yummy?



While all of that was happening, I did half a spaghetti squash in the microwave (cut in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds, put one half face down in a dish with 1/4 cup water, microwave for around 8 minutes or until the skin gets soft). Then I tossed the shredded squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper and set that aside.

THEN, I mixed an avocado with some olive oil, lemon juice, and mustard (and salt and pepper) and mushed that up.

Plate + chicken patty + squash + guac.

No comments:

Post a Comment