Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Best Chili, Ever.


How good is this chili? Well, I made a large crockpot FULL, and ate two small bowls before running out to my painting class. When I came home, there was a medium plastic container of chili left, and a dirty crockpot. Which was quickly washed by the man who ate three large bowls of chili. I think we're strategizing over who gets to the leftovers for lunch first.

I think this combines the best of traditional red/tomatoey/beef chili with one of my favorite dishes, Chile Verde. There's beef, pork, tomatoes AND green chiles. Yum.

Mom's Best (Paleo) Chili

1 lb ground beef, browned
2 lbs boneless pork country-style ribs, cut in 1" pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
red (or yellow or green) bell pepper, chopped
8 oz mushrooms, chopped
carrots, chopped or shredded (I used pre-shredded carrots that I chopped up)
4 smallish yams, peeled and chopped
1 can stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 can Rotel Original tomatoes with chiles (small can)
1 can (16 oz) tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 tbsp (or to taste) chile powder

Brown meats separately, add to large crockpot. Saute vegetables in some olive oil until softened and add to crockpot. Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook on high 4-5 hours, or on low 8-10 hours. Probably would be best if refrigerated overnight, but no chance of that in our house.

It was delicious with some chopped avocado. Mmmmmm.

Adjust vegetables to contents of your refrigerator, but this is a good combination. Hil, you can leave out the mushrooms. I was going to add some chopped kale, but never got around to it. Maybe next time. Feel free to add beans if that's up your alley.




No comments:

Post a Comment