Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lazy Chili

I think I made this on New Year's Day, since I wouldn't be eating the traditional black-eyed peas, and I wanted to feel like I was eating beans...without actually eating beans. And this is probably the laziest meal way to make chili, so go ahead and add more things!




Warning: I didn't measure anything, but none of it needs to be exact. I probably used two smallish sweet potatoes, and maybe the equivalent of 1.5 chicken breasts. I had enough leftovers for a couple more servings, but this could all be easily increased for more chili.

Sweet potatoes--peeled and chopped into smallish chunks (depending on how you're feeling..1 inch?)
Shredded chicken
1 can diced green chiles
Onion (I used half)
Canned tomato sauce (I only used half a can)
Chicken broth
Coconut oil
Salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, etc.

In a pot over medium high heat, add approximately 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Chop the onion, add to the pot, and let it simmer. When the onion is translucent, add the green chiles and sweet potatoes. I let that sit for a minute or two and then added the tomato sauce and chicken broth until I was happy with the amount of liquid. I wanted enough to make it saucy, but not quite like soup. Add seasonings to taste and stir together. Let this all simmer until the potatoes are almost fork tender. Then add the (cooked and shredded) chicken. I added a little more broth since I didn't want to open another can of tomato sauce and wanted more liquid. Continue to simmer until everything is incorporated, hot, and cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment