Monday, December 10, 2012

Sweet Potato Enchilada/Lasagna

I made the original enchiladas from PaleOMG a few months ago. Since I didn't feel like buying ground beef this time, I decided to try shredded chicken.

Forgive the awkward picture but we ate it too fast to get anything better.


For the shredded chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Dehydrated garlic (fresh garlic would work too)
Chicken broth
Salt + pepper

Arrange the breasts in the crock pot and add garlic, S + P, and any other seasonings you want, depending on what you'll be using the chicken for. I knew I'd have leftover chicken to use for other dishes, so I didn't make the whole batch spicy, but you could add some green chiles/peppers/cumin here. Add chicken broth to cover chicken about halfway. Turn crock pot on high for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked and shreds easily with a fork. Remove chicken (carefully, it may start to fall apart), and shred in a large bowl.

From here, I continued with the original recipe, except instead of thinly slicing the sweet potatoes, I just shredded them and cooked them like hash browns, in a large skillet with coconut oil. Then I pressed about half of the pile of potatoes into a 8x8 pan and started baking that while I prepped everything else.

For the chicken, I added about half my shredded chicken to a skillet with the green chiles and spices, poured a little chicken broth over the whole thing and let that simmer and heat for a while.

I followed the original recipe for the sauce.

Now, layer half the chicken over the sweet potatoes, and keep layering until everything is in the pan. Pour the sauce over the top and bake for 15 minutes at 350.

Let it cool a little...then eat it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment