Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pumpkin Spaghetti Squash

Looks appetizing, doesn't it?
So Kendall told me that her mom bought pumpkin spaghetti sauce, so naturally I wanted to try to recreate it for my spaghetti squash. I've been buying lots of canned pumpkin lately and putting it in my mug cakes, so I thought I'd try it with my dinner this time.

As usual, I didn't measure a single thing, so I'll do my best to estimate, but its not an exact science anyway, right? The amount I made was for half a spaghetti squash.


1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 - 3/4 can pureed pumpkin (give or take a spoonful)
2 cups broth (I used veggie)
2 tbsp olive oil
Seasonings (steak seasoning, italian herb blend, garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc)
Tomato paste


In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the oil and onion. Once the onion softens, add some garlic...I added maybe a teaspoon. Then add your pumpkin and broth and mix well. Add your seasonings (whatever kind you like/have on hand) and olive oil and keep stirring. I just sprinkled the herbs and stuff in the sauce and mixed it and tasted it, added more, etc. Turn the heat down and let it simmer for a bit until it all looks blended. I added a little more broth to get the consistency I wanted, so you can experiment here. Taste it and add more seasonings if necessary. I added about a tablespoon of tomato paste at the end...I don't know why, I just felt like it should have some tomato essence in there. I think that's all I put in it. I had done the squash in the microwave while I made the sauce, then I cut up some sausage and sauteed that in a pan to put on top.

The kale/chard was just in a big skillet with some onion/garlic/steak seasoning/broth...the usual.


No comments:

Post a Comment