Saturday, November 30, 2013

Is this the Ultimate Flatbread?

Seedy flatbread hidden by slices of Manchego cheese,
tomatoes, cucumber and a plop of aioli. I forgot to take a picture
before I decorated it. Yum.
First off, this recipe originated over at Oh She Glows, and I am so glad to find it! Please visit the original recipe here. I'm going to share my version.

Ultimate Seedy Flatbread

(Savory Italian version)
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (the shelled pepitas)
  • 1/2 cup organic buckwheat flour (or other friendly gluten-free flour) seeds
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
Mix dry ingredients together (including seasonings if desired), add water and stir until moistened. Spread into either a 9x9" square baking pan, or another similar sized pan, that has been sprayed with either olive oil or coconut oil spray. I used a smallish 9x13" pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until it is firm. Cool slightly and cut into squares.

The Italian seasoned version is delicious with a bit of melted pecorino romano and a slice of fresh tomato. How about pesto? Some goat cheese?

I'm looking forward to trying other versions - this is great for a quick lunch or snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment