Saturday, July 13, 2013

Finally Figured Out What's for Breakfast




Eating Paleo/primal/low-carb/gluten-free/whatever has been a revelation in many ways. I feel so much better, have lost a bit of weight and generally have more energy. But breakfast? You can only eat so many eggs, even with a bit of bacon or spinach or sriracha. Or all three. I save wheat and rice for special occasions, and usually only eat a small amount with no negative effects. Cornbread, on the other hand, generally means an instant headache.

I found a recipe for a "Skinny Muffin" in Jorge Cruise's book "The 100" and it looked interesting. Flax meal, eggs, healthy oil; all ingredients I regularly use. I tried it, once, as written, and then immediately took off and developed my own Breakfast Muffin. 

The real clincher for this recipe? Three small muffins, usually eaten with a bit of butter/olive oil spread, regularly keep me satisfied for three-five hours. And that's impressive.

First, the basic muffin recipe.

Cindy's Breakfast Muffins

5 eggs
2 tbsp melted coconut oil or mild olive oil
1/4 cup almond milk
3/4 cup flaxseed meal
2 tbsp coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
1 packet (or 1-2 teaspoons) stevia (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Beat eggs, oil and almond milk together; add dry ingredients and stir to blend. Lightly grease (I use Trader Joe's coconut oil spray) a muffin tin, and divide the batter for 12 muffins. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

These muffins are small, and not anything like those giant pieces of cake that Costco calls a muffin. Split, and enjoy with a bit of butter, yogurt, ricotta or cream cheese or whatever makes you happy.

Now for Weekend Muffins.

Do you have one of these in your cupboard?
I used the same batter and cooked the muffins in my old grilled-cheese-sandwich maker. I'm sure it made more than 12, but we ate them so fast I didn't have time to count.
Weekend Muffins!



Somehow the new shape made the difference. We split these, spread with greek yogurt and added fresh raspberries. My husband drizzled some maple syrup over his, and I found a jar of homemade plum jam in the refrigerator and added a tiny smidge. Delicious! Who needs waffles?

Well, I bet you could cook the batter in a waffle iron, or even as pancakes in a cast iron skillet. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment